Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
- MA STEM Networks Begun in 2004, the state’s Regional STEM Networks serve as hubs for connecting educators, community leaders and industry partners to further excite and energize students about opportunities in STEM subjects. These networks are among the longest standing STEM Networks in the country.
- MA Life Sciences Center The Massachusetts Life Sciences Center (MLSC) is an investment agency that supports life sciences innovation, education, research & development, and commercialization. Provides grants to schools and other organizations for STEM equipment.
- US Army Corps of Engineers New England District Speaker's Bureau. Topics include archeology, engineering, geology, natural resources and wetlands protection.
- Massachusetts STEM Curriculum Frameworks
- MA STEM Summit The annual Massachusetts STEM Summit promotes Science, Technology, Engineering and Math education and workforce development from early childhood through adulthood.
Local Museums That Promote STEM
The museum currently offers virtual workshops for the following: Stop Motion, Make Your Own, Video Game, TinkerCAD and Sonic Pi
STEM in the News
Bring Science Home
From Scientific American, a fun, new, science-related activity every Thursday that parents and their six- to 12-year-olds can do together. Adults will find easy-to-follow instructions and simple materials lists as well as additional background to help them explain the key concepts.
The latest research news.
The Daily STEM A free one page weeily "newspaper" to help inspire kids to engage with STEM in the real world.
The New York Times STEM Articles A selection of activities for students that draws on reporting about STEM subjects.
STEM to STEAM
STEM to STEAM
A movement to integrate Art and Design into the recent focus on STEM and turn it into “STEAM.”
Rhode Island School of Design
STEM to STEAM is a RISD-led initiative to add Art and Design to the national agenda of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) education and research in America.
STEAM Not STEM
Why scientists need arts training
STEM to STEAM: Effect of Visual Art Integration on Long-Term Retention of Science Content
The purpose of this experimental study was to examine the effect of visual art instruction, specifically drawing, on long-term retention of science content. Fifty-five fifth and sixth grade students participated in this study, 31 in the experimental group and 24 in the control group.
The STEAM Journal
The STEAM Journal is a transdisciplinary, theory-practice, peer-reviewed, open access, online journal with a focus on the intersection of STEM and Art. The journal integrates perspectives from a variety of contexts and fields.
Books in the Library Catalog
From STEM to STEAM by
Publication Date: 2018-03-08
"STEAM the integration of music, visual arts, and drama into daily STEM instruction is proven to enhance student achievement in STEM subjects. After all, creative, real-world problem-solving is what working scientists and mathematicians actually do.
No Permission Required by
Publication Date: 2014-05-01
Creativity in teaching and learning is the "secret sauce" to ensuring the success of our students in the 21st century. As the movement from STEM to STEAM begins to gather momentum more and more teachers are asking, are we allowed to do this. STEAM integrates art with the traditional STEM subjects of science, technology, engineering and mathematics.
Steam Concepts for Infants and Toddlers by
Publication Date: 2018-08-07
STEAM is a development and extension of the original STEM efforts with the goal to support innate creativity and innovation that all children possess.